Monday, December 8, 2008

Book Clubs

I read an article today from The New York Times on book clubs. Mostly it was on book club drama, everyone wanted to read Oprah or the discussion derailing into mommy stories. Apparently, there are people who get paid to lead book club discussions. This might be the perfect job for me. Would my passive-aggressive tendency to avoid conflict at all cost help or hurt?

I was part of a book club in high school. There were three of us, and our other friends frequently teased us for starting a club after tree houses and elementary school. Yet they were eventually impressed with how well we stuck with it, although I don't remember it lasting that long. We took turns picking books and I remember reading Bridget Jones' Diary by Helen Fielding and The World According to Garp by John Irving, among others I have since forgotten.

Occasionally since college I have thought about starting a book club again. It would be like monthly bookworm parties! Yet I still haven't gotten back into a "reading groove" since college. It's been two-and-a-half years and the rate at which I read is moderately depressing. I'm not sure at this point if a book club would help this situation or not. Maybe I should save it for a retirement hobby. The book club, not reading in general, which I shall pursue diligently no matter how few books I manage to finish.

In other news headlines of note for today:
I am pro-life and was very pleased with this opinion piece.
This was also amusing, if you're against lame 15-seconds-of-fame books.


No comments: