Thursday, December 18, 2008

Taxing Dr. Pepper

I found this article particularly obnoxious and ridiculous. If you're not interested in reading the article yourself, it's a commentary by Governor Paterson of New York on why New York needs to tax sugared drinks to lower childhood obesity. His support of this tax is rooted in how the increased cigarette tax has decreased smoking.

I'm not a fan of childhood obesity but this is just lame.

Childhood obesity is sometimes caused by crappy genetics. I also believe that childhood obesity, like most childhood problems, starts at home and the diet and lifestyle choices that are directly and/or indirectly taught there.

All of this made me think though about how I support cigarette taxes and now that Gov. Paterson has drawn the comparison, maybe I shouldn't. My general motive for anti-cigarette laws is generally selfish. I think it's disgusting and I don't want to be around it. I do believe that people have a right to smoke if they want to, but allowing people to smoke in public buildings can damage my health which is something I don't want. I do believe this is a slightly different situation than other people's 10-year-olds getting jacked up on Mountain Dew.


On a completely different topic... I knew it! And I might even take part in the survey!

No comments: