Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I'm Just Mad About Saffron

Last night I made my creamiest risotto yet. However, it could have tasted better. It didn't taste bad, but I made a few cost-saving changes to the recipe for Chicken and Prosciutto Risotto (found in random cookbook I got for wedding gift that is perhaps my most favorite cookbook yet) and 2 out of 3 worked.

Good: I always use bacon instead of prosciutto and it has always worked well.

Good: Instead of 1/2 cup of white wine I used white grape juice which worked well but perhaps it was only because it was a small amount of wine. This might not work well on recipes that call for lots of wine.

Bad: Did you know that saffron threads are $14.99 at Walmart?! Yeah, I wasn't about to pay that. During some taste tests toward the end of the cooking process I realized that the risotto tasted like chicken broth, not hard to imagine since the recipe called for 7.5 cups of it. I tossed in some oregano because at that moment I liked the way it smelled over the other spices handy. In the end, it still needed some extra flavor boost.

But by golly was it creamy!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the memories.