Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Flower Concerns

I've declared that next year will be the Year of the Landscaping at the house. That could change depending on how the interior progresses this year, but next year I would like to evaluate the landscaping.

The main goals of this landscaping evaluation are:
1. To start a vegetable and herb garden.
2. To make sense of the random bushes/small trees strewn about the yard.
3. To remove floral items from outdoor sitting areas.

Why move around the flowers, you ask? They're pretty!

But I don't like bees. Or anything that stings. Or really anything that qualifies as a pest: moths, "critters" (I inherited these phobias from my mom, who hates starts-with-"sp"-and-rhymes-with-"riders" to the point of insisting we just call them "critters".), june bugs, mosquitoes, flies, etc. My general attitude toward nature is best summarized by this:
I'm outdoorsy in that I like getting drunk on patios
As I've lamented how to enjoy flowers and outdoor areas, while avoiding bees as much as possible, I've decided to move all the blooming things away from the deck and patio. Which means that the rose bushes can stay since they run along the side of the house, but the lilac bush, right up against the desk, is going to have to move. Possibly to the fence. And I've already been pricing organic pest control.

2 comments:

steph anne said...

Amen to that! I should focus on landscaping at our house too next year. I love having dinners outside on the patio especially during the Spring & Summer. It would be so much better to be able to look at beautiful flowers and maybe a sparkling blue pool ;-)

Katie said...

A definite yes to the pool! And flowers are great too. ;)