Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A Tech-Free Night

I mentioned earlier that I was doing the Fast-Pray-Give Lenten Challenge at Busted Halo. Yesterday's challenge was to give up 50% of your technology use. Considering I spend about nine hours a day at work staring at my computer, 50% was a bit much, but I avoided Facebook all day and avoided technology once I got home. It actually turned out to be pretty great evening.

I went for a run. Cooked dinner for Lee and I (English muffin mini-pizzas). We watched The Big Bang Theory, which I know is TV but it's about the only thing on TV that Lee and I enjoy together so it's really more of a bonding experience. I called a friend who I hadn't talked to in months, which again was technology, but a bonding experience and great chance to catch up and something I wouldn't have done had I not been avoiding the TV. Then I spent the rest of the night reading which is something I don't do nearly enough! I read some sewing basics from a book my mom passed on to me, read this month's Real Simple and almost finished the book of Edna St. Vincent Millay poetry I'm reading.

It was a great evening. I'm thinking I might have to have tech-free nights more often. Often it seems like people view Lent as a wretched time of miserable sacrifice (And every morning as I wait for today's challenge to open, I do hope it's an easy one, generally unrelated to food and beverage consumption.), which can sometimes be the case, but sometimes in the sacrifice new joys are found.

No comments: