Thursday, August 26, 2010

Hilton Head Part 1: I'm on a Kayak

This is the first in a yet-unknown-number (more than 2, less than 7) series in which I share my vacation photos with you. If you're really really eager to see all the pictures right now, you can just go to my Flickr (Sounds  dirtier than it is.).

Let's start with our kayaking tour. This was a big step for me since:
A. I don't like nature very much. (I'm glad it's there, I just don't want to spend a lot of time with it. This is mostly due to my fears of bugs, snakes, bears and drowning. See item C.)
B. I have the upper body strength of a mouse. (Apparently this is more of a core exercise, not that I have much of a core either.)
C. I don't swim well (doggy paddle FTW) so being in the water in something other than a medium-to-large boat makes me a little nervous.

But Lee likes nature, is strong, and can swim, plus has previous kayaking experience, so kayaking we went!

014
We departed at 6 p.m. from Shelter Cover Harbour.

011
We were told not to wear flip-flops but that was all we packed, so we went to Walmart just to get some non-flip-flops. After spending $34 on shoes we don't really like, we gathered with the rest of the tour and most of them were wearing flip-flops. Bummer.

015
I was both nervous...

016
and excited. (And a little sad that Lee didn't take me up on my suggestion that we wear matching nautical-themed pashmina afghans.)

You might also notice that I'm sitting in what some people call "the princess seat", but I like to call it "the photographer seat". Someone has to get these sweet dolphin shots.

026
Yes, there were dolphins. And even though we only saw about 20% of their body, they were still cool.

029

037
There were also a lot of birds. They were nice, but no dolphin. This one is an anhinga and is sitting on a barge.

054
I'm sure you recognize the pelican from Finding Nemo.

055

047
In Broad Creek (where we kayaked, it cuts through the middle of Hilton Head Island) there are also oodles of oyster beds. We saw some young American Oystercathers which is rare and none of the pictures turned out but they were still cool. Apparently oyster knives are based on their beaks. And even though oysters seem pretty defenseless, if they sense an oystercatcher approaching, they can clamp down on their beaks and hold them until the tide rises and drowns them. Neato and creepy!

041
If you're traveling to HHI and/or care, we did a two-hour nature tour through Outside Hilton Head. They were lovely and are not paying me (unfortunately) to say this.

3 comments:

kim_brough said...

1. Awesome use of reference to I'm on a Boat.

2. Define FTW. I'm at a loss.

virginia said...

I'm looking at your flickr stream and glad to see you went to Sweet Carolina Cupcakes :)

Katie said...

Kim – FTW is For the Win.

Ginny, The cupcakes were amazing! If I hadn't hated the font, I might have gotten a Cupcakes Y'all T-shirt.