Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Job Update

I have jobs (intentionally plural)! I'm super thankful that my stint with unemployment was brief, but not so brief that I didn't enjoy a nice break. Really, if you're going to be unemployed, I think my unemployment was about as perfect as it gets, lasting about a month. I am way more blessed than I deserve, but that's generally always been the case.
funny pictures of cats with captions

see more Lolcats and funny pictures

So what am I doing now? Well, I knew I didn't want another full-time job since I'm hoping to stay as home with baby as much as we can afford. After looking into a couple part-time positions in an office setting, it seemed like I wouldn't be making enough to justify the costs of part-time daycare. Not to mention that there are additional ways to save money (cloth diapers, less breastfeeding accessories) by keeping baby at home. I have had a couple freelance jobs come up which is wonderful and I'm sure excited about them and hoping for more. In a perfect world, I would make enough freelancing to just do that, but at this point, we could use a little extra money, so I'm now barista-ing at a local coffee shop.

I got the coffee shop idea from Our Little Apartment. And while it's not really what I had in mind for myself at 27, I think that this is honestly what's best for me and Lee and baby at this point in life. Since coffee shop opens ridiculously early (5:30!!!) I'll be able to go in a few mornings  a week while Lee stays home with baby. He'll be able to answer some e-mails, make some phone calls and then I'll be home around 10 and he can head in to work. It won't be a lot of extra money, but it won't cost us anything (but gas) to earn it.

I started there a couple weeks ago and so far I love it. My coworkers are super nice. The coffee is super tasty. We're all organic and fair-trade, which I think is awesome. As a local business we do lots to help other local businesses. It's a good company to work for. And there is something strangely fun about making the drinks. A woman was watching me make her latte yesterday and commented, "It really is a bit of an art to make these." Yes, it is.

While I'm super thankful for my jobs, we are far from the income we used to have. But honestly, I've never been happier. I was in a funk this morning, so I took a walk. I can make myself pasta for lunch. When my brain just won't work, I can embrace that, veg out for a bit, and then get back to it at a time that's better for me. I wear sweatpants a lot. I take afternoon naps. Life is grand. :)

7 comments:

Stefanie said...

I loved Ashley's idea of working in a coffee shop and I'd do it myself and have considered it. However, we only have one car right now and buying a second car is just not in it since all the money I would make would go towards a car payment. So I am staying home focusing on school. :) Good luck to you and your new job!

Katie Earley said...

Sounds like a great plan Stefanie! Good luck with school! :)

OurLittleAshley said...

Oh, your coffee shop sounds WAY cooler than Starbucks! Fair trade, organic, local? Sigh. That is just awesome! :) Have fun. I LOVED Starbucks and might work there again this summer!

hannah said...

I worked as a barista/waitress part time in New Zealand and loved it. Its a great way to interact with people and make a little extra money at the same time! Making coffee is an art and getting to drink yummy coffee is a treat too!

Katie Earley said...

Definitely agree on the easy access to yummy coffee. I'm now sad on mornings that I don't work because I don't get any white mocha. It's tragic.

Katie Earley said...

I had actually applied at Starbucks first since there's one 1/2 mile from my house and this one is a 15 minute drive, but I'm definitely glad it worked out the way it did. (Although I still admit to liking the Starbucks occasionally. We might have gone there Valentine's weekend just because it was closer. ;) )

steph anne said...

That's awesome! It looks like you two have everything worked out. :) I hope to be a stay-at-home mom someday too.