Wednesday, January 13, 2010

How Do I Know?

So Lee and I have looking at houses for months now. Some stay on the list, some we literally run away from throwing salt over our shoulders. But none have really floated our boats or what not. Our lease is up in April so we're thinking about this more and more seriously every day. The question that plagued me from preschool until I was 23 has returned: How do I know if a house is the one?

I keep thinking a lot about how I knew Lee was the one. Not that there was a lot to it, I just knew, but that was it. My mom had been right all that time because when I knew, I just knew. Before Lee, when I thought I might know, I questioned it. But with Lee I didn't even have to ask if I knew because I just knew and that was that and we married and are still living happily ever after. (Except we've just discovered that I'm ridiculously ticklish under my knees which means that Lee has been getting lots of retaliation clawing from my not-even-very-long fingernails and now he's whining about the scars on his hands. If he would just leave my knees alone he wouldn't have ugly scarred hands.)

So I've been telling myself that it's the same thing with the house. We'll just know. But with Lee, I made a lifelong commitment. I had to be super extra sure because there's no backing out now. With a house, that could just last ten years or so and then you get a new one, a better one. I mean, this one probably won't be my "dream home" because that would cost about double (at least ;) ) what we'll spend this time. So maybe I don't have to be so sure? Maybe this is more of an analytical choice. Does this house have what we need? Nice location? Not ugly? Sold!

Except I suspect that this is one of those "When you know, you know" situations and it's more than just a checklist but a warm gooey feeling that makes you feel better about signing the next 30 years of your life away.

We'll see more houses tomorrow. One of them we're really crushing on from it's online pictures.

8 comments:

angela.kolachny said...

great song! GREAT movie! I hope you find your dream house, it sounds like you found your dream man:o)

thegamerswife said...

I think that even though it might night be your dream house right off the bat, that you'll still KNOW this is the right house for you, right now at this particular time. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Katie said...

Thanks for the support guys! :)

the real mia said...

I totally loved that movie Enchanted, especially that scene with the singing and dancing in the park.

Han said...

When me and CJ were looking for a house we found one that we loved - it was awesome - it was quirky and really suited us - we thought that was the one but it fell through :(

Then we found the house we're in and it's smaller than the first one but we've actually come out on the better side of the deal because (we believe) that what we're paying for it is miles under the asking price and so if we did sell up and move on we'd be better off in the long run.

So it's funny it might not seem like it but it could grow on you :)

I love that song too - would have been more funny to see Patrick sing lol. At least once even if it was karaoke or something like that

stefanie said...

I am so excited for you! I think you are right. If you step into the house and you absolutely like it with no concerns or whatsoever, you know it is the right one for you. :)

Rebecca said...

I think you do just 'know' when it's the right house. It's important to be logical and make sure it ticks all the right boxes, and if it does, then go with your instinct. It needs to give off a good vibe. But I do try to look for potential in places that don't seem to have that much going for them - they just need to be loved and they will blossom :)

Your blog is fabulous. Just discovered it via The board of Lucys. I'm now a follower :)

Katie said...

Thanks for all the advice! And welcome Rebecca! :)