Tuesday, January 19, 2010

It Happened

SPOILER ALERT!

I just finished reading The Two Towers. After being only mildly amused by The Fellowship of the Ring and having heard that The Two Towers was the least of the three, I'm surprised to say I am now *gulp* a fan.

I just spent the last hour frantically reading the last few chapters, freaking out that they're practically to Mount Doom, not believing that Frodo's really dead but omg! the Orcs have him and SAM TAKE OFF THE RING THAT IS BAD NEWS BEARS!!!!!

Who knows what The Return of the King will bring (My money's on Aragorn winning the day. It's right there in the title.), but I might have been too hasty in declaring Harry Potter's superiority. I mean, I think this is something where they can each be excellent in their ways. Although Harry Potter will always be my first love. (In fantasy books only since we must leave room for Jane of course.)




4 comments:

Unknown said...

IMO, the Two Towers is the best of the three books. Just remember when you read the last book that Tolkien really wanted you to FEEL the hopelessness and despair that Frodo and Sam are feeling. It's my least favorite book of the three, personally, but yes - they are better than Harry Potter.

Katie said...

Technically, they may be better than Harry Potter, in scope and complexity. But Harry Potter is also a children's book (technically) and I think it does a better job of relationship building. Perhaps because it isn't quite as technical as LOTR.

virginia said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying Tolkien! I find it hard to pick a favorite - there's room in my heart for both, and I think comparing them is really apples and oranges.

Erin said...

I got sucked into the Twilight saga, but I just can't hope on the Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings trains.. glad you're enjoying them though!!