Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Battle is On!

In life, you can frequently enjoy competing items. I can (and do) enjoy Ben and Jerry's and Haagen Dazs, Monet and Manet, and Coke and Pepsi (although Coke is better). But on some issues, I feel like you have to pick sides. Like UK vs. UofL athletics. Lee claims there's a middle road, but he is wrong (Go Cats!). I also feel this way about Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings. Okay, fine, there's lots of people who like both but one has to be clearly superior and ever since I read the first chapter of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, I knew that Harry Potter was the best.


However, I've never actually read the Lord of the Rings. I tried once. I made a deal with a friend the month before I started college that he would HP and I would read LOTR starting with The Hobbit, his favorite. By the time I drudged through the first 100 pages of The Hobbit (I found it to be very boring.), he had read all of the HP books published at that time (Four?). And then I started college and that was the end of my reading LOTR.

There was also one night our freshman year where I was lured to Lexington by Caitlin to watch the second LOTR movie with promises of dinner someplace nice (like Olive Garden) and a trip to Target. However, other friends were running late and the next thing I know I'm trapped in a theater for four years with nothing to entertain me but playing Snake on my phone and watching Caitlin choke on her candy. And there was no Target or non-campus food. I've heard that apparently the second movie requires some backstory, but it still sucked. (Actually, Lee and I were discussing it last night and apparently the second book is the "awkward middle child" of the series. Note: J.K. Rowling wrote no awkward middle child books. However, I guess if Austen had one, it's an acceptable practice.)

So anyways, the old bet has been renewed only it's between me and Lee now. He is reading HP and this time I'm starting with The Fellowship of the Ring. I'm 80 pages in and it is much better than The Hobbit and I have enjoyed it, but I'm still not convinced that it can't hold a candle to HP. I will keep you posted on how my personal LOTR vs. HP battle is going. So far, magic + scars + pet owls > hobbits + boring jewelry items. (Dear Mr. Tolkein, Put some diamonds in that ring and you'll attract a whole new demographic. Remember, Gryffindor's sword was pretty blinged out and that's why it is awesome. Your ring could be a lot cooler if it had some gemstones. What's the point of having a lot of power if you can't look good doing it?!)


image:http://www.flickr.com/photos/10972049@N02/ / CC BY 2.0

5 comments:

Caitlin said...

1-I was not the one who dragged you to see LOTR, it was Julia and Pieratt I believe--I didn't really care all that much.

2-You were obviously somewhat entertained, b/c no one noticed I was choking for a quite a bit. You were the first and really only to eventually notice, and for that I thank you.

3-We did eat at the Olive Garden and I believe that was the first time I met Sarah. I think Cynda didn't come, maybe? But I do believe Olive Garden was involved--you were wearing and ADPi crush t-shirt and had pigtails in your hair and it was one of the first times we drove "Baby" anywhere. I think. I don't remember if Target was involved though.

Katie said...

2. I was being entertained by my cell phone game.

3. I think that was a different evening. I would never have let Baby's inaugural trip to Lex involve LOTR. ; )

Sarah said...

Haha! If I was there - I totally don't remember it! lol.

I'm with you on HP vs LOTR. I've really enjoyed the LOTR movies, but have had a rough time getting through the book (I've tried several times), and given that I've re-read several of the HP books without issue... that tells ya something...

Katie said...

I was reading some HP over Lee's shoulder the other night, and I think the difference might be the narrator. I can hear J.K. Rowling reading Harry Potter to me. I can be instantly transported in the middle of the page to her world...much like my dear Jane. I don't have that feeling with LOTR, but maybe I'm just not far enough in yet?
Also worthy of note, Lee might be a speed reader, but he read the second HP book in less than 24 hours.

Jill said...

i'm on team HP.

also- seriously love your mansfield park reference. i think it's the redheaded stepchild of the austen books too.