Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Phantom Glasses

I got glasses in Kindergarten (1988-ish). In the summer of 2004 I had laser eye surgery. Not a fun experience, but worthwhile seeing as I was legally blind without my glasses or contacts. Since the surgery I have enjoyed 20/20 vision. At my last checkup, I learned that my left eye isn't seeing as well as before, but reading glasses are still optional since it's not enough of a vision change for me to notice. Now that I spend 95% of my work day staring at my computer monitor, I think I'm starting to notice. My eyes feel tired more often, I don't know if it's them or what they're looking at. I think I'm kind of mildly excited about it though. I sort of miss my glasses.

In 16 years, glasses became an essential part of my routine. Taking my contacts out and putting my glasses on was an essential part of relaxing after a long day, getting ready for bed, and buckling down to really get serious about homework (I know some of those activities are contradict each other, but that is my nature.). Even after 4 years of a spectacle-free existence, sometimes I still miss them. I don't have a phantom limb, thank God, just phantom glasses.

I also think glasses just fit my bookworm personality. They are the quintessential nerd accessory.

No comments: