Monday, February 1, 2010

Be Well-Read

Today starts a new month (already?!) and a new focus of my resolution-ing: reading.

For as long as I can remember, I've been an avid reader. In high school I always took a pleasure book with me to class to read if there was any free time. I was the nerd who had read the required reading a few years before it was required.

And then there was college. Reading books of my choice became something I only had time for on breaks. Once I graduated and could read whatever I wanted whenever I wanted...I didn't. It would take me months to finish a book. I would come home from work and busy myself with chores or mindless activities. I told myself I would read before bed but by the time I went to bed I couldn't stay awake for more than a page or two.

Despite how disappointed I've been with myself over this, I never really set about fixing it. So that is the goal for the month: making reading a priority again. I enjoy it when I take the time to sit down and do it, so now I hope to proactively find the time for it, as opposed to waiting until I have a free hour because that doesn't happen.

For added incentive/frustration/goal-setting, I'm hoping to read 50 books this year. I'm already behind probably because I'm working through The Lord of the Rings, (January 1 I was 60 pages into The Two Towers and now I'm starting The Return of the King. I did read another book in between though.) but I'm still moving at a faster pace than before. Probably because my default activity when I arrive home is to read. Not to watch TV or open my laptop.

I can't wait to get caught up on all the books I've bought or been given that I haven't read, all the ones I want to read, and all the ones I've been recommended!

5 comments:

virginia said...

I love that your pile of "things to be read" includes the IKEA catalog. I do the same thing :)

kim_brough said...

You've inspired me to read more this year also. However, working 12 hour shifts... I've settled on 24 books. Two a month (not that you couldn't do that math yourself!) I think that will be good.

Katie said...

Ginny -- The Ikea catalogue has already been read several times.

Kim -- That sounds like an excellent plan!

stefanie said...

Love the IKEA catalogue inbetween the books. :) You are funny!

I have been feeling the same about reading lately. There used to be a time when I read a lot but recently I just can't find the time and when there is time, I end up watching mindless TV. It's a vicious cycle.

angela.kolachny said...

I have been reading since I was 3 and I've been obsessed ever since. I probably average about 3 books a month. I'm a history major so I am constantly reading books for class but the only way I can unwind at the end of each day is to read (and blog of course!!). I'm currently reading a Jodi Picoult book entitled "Nineteen Minutes" if you need another recommendation, its very good!