Monday, February 8, 2010

Reality Check

I mentioned before that I'm reading Pride and Prejudice with Lee's almost 13-year-old sister. Since this is my seventh time reading the novel, I'm loving her fresh response to the novel.

During last night's reading (We read during the Super Bowl and took breaks to watch the commercials. Jane Austen > NFL football), Jane received the letter from Caroline Bingley saying that they whole Netherfield party had gone to London, was unlikely to return anytime soon, and hopefully Mr. Bingley will marry Miss Darcy. Ouch.

Jane thinks Caroline must have had some sort of kind motive in saying that she hopes her brother marries some other girl when Jane obviously (unless you're Mr. Darcy) loves him. Elizabeth rightly thinks Caroline is an evil wench. Danielle declares, "Jane needs a reality check. Someone could come up to her with a gun and be like, 'I'm going to kill you!' and she wouldn't believe them."
jane
So true. :)


image: www.allmoviephoto.com   

6 comments:

HanPlans said...

If she watches the film she has to watch the BBC Adaptation first!!!! Not the Kiera Knightley version!!!!!

Please do it for me!!!!

I still haven't read it - maybe I need to join a book club or something!

Katie said...

Well she saw the Kiera Knightley version a couple years ago, but doesn't remember much other than Wickham does something horrible and Darcy and Elizabeth manage to put aside their pride and prejudice to live happily ever after. We have been watching the BBC version as we read to help us visualize all the characters and get a better feel for the language.

angela.kolachny said...

confession: I bought a beautiful, well worn antique copy of Pride and Prejudice in a little used bookstore around the corner from my house. How many times have I read it? Zero. We are expecting 1-2 more feet of snow this week, so I plan on reading it! I've heard wayyyy to many great things about it!

Katie said...

Happy reading Angela! It is by far my most favorite book!

Laura said...

hahaha, this is great! i wish i could remember my own reactions to books at that age.

PS thanks so much for adding my new link!

Katie said...

You're so welcome Laura!