Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Library Books!

When I was little (like elementary school) one of my favorite things to do during the summer was go to the library. They had a summer reading program where we met once a week for crafts and to return all of last week's books, get new ones, and receive stars for how many books we'd read. (I was always toward the top of the pack of course.)

Sometime in high school, the library became more of a place for research and movie rentals. I was always afraid that I would like a book so much that I would want to buy it, and if that happened I would have read the copy I owned. Many borrowed books had tiny paper bookmarks to hold my favorite spots until I could buy my own copy and highlight and underline to my heart's content.

Lately I've been trying to start up a book club with some friends (One being the oft-mentioned Caitlin who has a new blog.) and after a month of internally whining about all the new/used books I'd have to buy, I remembered that there are still libraries. Pathetic I know, but it seemed I had forgotten about them.

001 - Copy (9)

So yesterday I checked out my first book since college, Curtis Sittenfeld's American Wife, and I have not been able to put it down! One of my favorite feelings is that of not being able to put a book down. (Conversely, one of my least favorite feelings is that of "I really don't want to put this book down but I MUST pee! Please let there be a natural break soon or my bladder will die!")

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Take the book to the bathroom with you. Problem solved.

Katie said...

Thanks Mom. ;P

Jamie said...

I really adored this book! Not so much love for Prep (her first novel). But it could be because I secretly wanted to go to the school in the Facts of Life and that book reminded me that I did not.

Katie said...

I finished American Wife last night and loved it!! I might have to read Prep soon. Hopefully, since I don't have any Facts of Life fantasies, I'll enjoy it. ; )

Caitlin said...

I'm going to try to get it today before I leave for College Station. It's been an illusive little book. Glad you liked it. Will read soon. Promise.